What users say
- DOCX (Word), ODT, HTML, text, CBZ and Epub import
- Jutoh imports from a range of formats. Import from DOCX, ODT, plain text, HTML, CBZ (comic book) or an existing Epub ebook.
(Note that complex CSS style definitions may not be preserved when importing from HTML or Epub.)
- Multiple format export
- Jutoh exports to Epub, Mobipocket (via kindlegen), ODT, HTML, CBZ, and text.
Epub and Kindle cover the majority of distributors, including Amazon, Apple, Nook, Kobo, and Google Books.
Jutoh Plus also writes HTB and CHM application help files.
- Formatting tools
- Jutoh has a range of tools for paragraph and text formatting.
You can add custom paragraph styles to the built-in styles,
and you can specify custom CSS for each style (or the whole style sheet) if required.
Define keyboard shortcuts and favourites to quickly apply styles to your document.
Jutoh analyses your project, detecting potential problems and suggesting formatting improvements,
providing quick links to relevant commands and articles. This saves you valuable time
since you can fix problems before uploading your books. Years of customer feedback
have contributed to these checks, articles and tools.
The powerful Document Cleanup feature allows you to quickly improve formatting throughout
your book, with options that include replacing blank paragraphs, removing direct colour and font formatting,
removing comments, removing unused bookmarks, replacing straight quotation marks, and more.
- Epub 3 export
- Jutoh generates Epub 3 as well as Epub 2. Epub 3 features supported by Jutoh include Epub 3 metadata, the 'landmarks' section,
semantic markup such as the epub:type attribute and section tag, audio narration using SMIL files, text-to-speech annotation,
section document's properties or, in Jutoh Plus, separately in resource documents.
- PDF creation via ODT
- Jutoh creates OpenDocument Text (ODT) files complete with page styles for different sections of your book, allowing
for different headers and footers in different parts of the book. It can also export a full table of contents with both hyperlinks
and page references, and footnotes and alphabetical indexes will also be exported in the native ODT format. Using an application such as the free OpenOffice.org, you can quickly convert the ODT to PDF suitable for printing,
viewing online or sending to a print-on-demand service.
- Speech audio file creation
- Jutoh can create MP3 files or read text from the current document using Windows SAPI, Apple Speech Manager or a variety of
external helper programs (CereVoice, Cepstral and eSpeak). Jutoh supports creation of multiple lexicons with industry-standard
PLS output or inline pronunciation substitution; tools for detailed speech markup are provided. Jutoh's Speech Archive file format
lets you send your marked-up documents as small files that the recipient can turn into audio files using the Jutoh demo.
- Image support
- Jutoh has extensive support for bitmap images, including specifying conversion format and quality, and image size (dynamic within the ereader and also static resizing
on compilation). Jutoh can convert absolute sizes to percentages so your images scale to the different display sizes.
Jutoh supports floating images, where text flows to the left or right.
- Table and text box support
- Jutoh can import tables and text boxes, and you can also create new ones.
- SVG and MathML support
- The drawing object gives the author the choice of outputting a bitmap, an SVG image, or
MathML code, depending on the target ebook format and platform. From the drawing object properties,
you can edit, import, export and preview the image. Edit your image or formula in a helper application, such as Inkscape, GIMP
or LibreOffice/OpenOffice Math, and reimport it into Jutoh with the click of a button. Copy formulae from a Word
document, or import a whole ODT document full of MathML or SVG images.
- Fixed layout page editor
- Jutoh is principally an editor for reflowable books, but you can also create fixed layout books by adding
fixed layout pages. You can then specify background images for the pages, and position further images and text boxes.
Magnification of regions is automatically supported for Kindle. Jutoh can export fixed layout ebooks for Kindle, iBooks and Epub 3.
Pages are split into two HTML files or joined into a single HTML file from two pages, as determined by the
way the project was created and the target format.
- Quick preview facility
- You can quickly preview the book section you are working on in a web browser window.
- 'Configurations' allow extensive customisation
- Jutoh's configuration facility allows you to define a version of your book that has its own cover, style sheet, and even variations in content
(such as a title page with text specific to a web site or publisher).
- Cover designer
- Jutoh's cover designer lets you quickly create a simple cover design for your book, and
a number of templates are provided. You can change the layout of a design and add more text
and pictures; keywords in the design are updated automatically from the book's metadata.
- Table of Contents Wizard
By default, Jutoh can create a simple table of contents from
chapter titles, without intervention.
If you need finer control of your table of contents,
Jutoh has a wizard to make it easy for you to build the contents page
based on the styles of the headings in your book. You have control over the entries in the book,
and can add new links by hand if required.
- Alphabetical Indexes
Import your index entries from DOCX or ODT, or insert them by hand, and Jutoh will create a multi-level alphabetical index in seconds.
Great for non-fiction authors.
- Footnotes and endnotes
Jutoh supports footnotes embedded throughout the document, and can add them to the end of chapters or create a separate endnotes page.
Footnotes are supported in DOCX and ODT import.
- Bibliography support
Citations are imported from DOCX and ODT, and the user can store and edit multiple bibliographic databases per project.
The Bibliography section can contain just citations, or all references in a database. A lot of behaviour can be
customised, such as the formatting of citations and the bibliography section, and whether adjacent citations are merged.
An formatting language is provided for detailed specification of how each bibliography entry will be formatted.
Cross-references allow you to create dynamic content; so for example, you can cross-reference a heading without typing the heading,
ensuring the heading title will be updated if you change the original text. You can use reference marks to extract text from
arbitrary content; and caption numbers and/or text can be specified.
Cross-references will be imported from Word or ODT.
- Hyperlink formatting
- Customise the appearance of links in your document by defining 'link styles' and applying them to categories of link, such as internal link, external link, cross-references, table of contents, and more.
- Narration synchronisation
- Jutoh generates Epub 3 SMIL files for synchronising narration with content (iBooks fixed layout ebooks/Epub 3 only).
- Form controls
- Jutoh lets you customise automatic replacements (for example, replacing (c) with ©) and
also does automatic quotation replacement.
- Built-in Epub error checker and debug window
- Jutoh includes Adobe's EpubCheck, a button click away. If there are errors
in the generated file, errors will be shown in context using Jutoh's source viewer.
The source viewer supports search within a document and you can go to a specific line.
You can also use the viewer to examine other Epub files, not just ones generated
- Configurable ebook launching
- You need to check that your book looks good on a variety of
ebook platforms. Jutoh lets you add viewer applications so you can easily choose the desired ebook reader for viewing your generated book.
- Powerful Find and Replace
- The Find and Replace dialog lets you search for formatting as well as text, and you can optionally use
regular expressions to perform searches that you can't with plain text.
A preset facility allows you to build up libraries of searches, stored either within projects and
or globally, for very fast application of commonly-used searches. In addition, Jutoh Plus can use
these preset libraries to output custom compile messages, effectively allowing you to search
for multiple criteria simultaneously and providing a powerful proofing tool.
- Spelling checker
- Check for typos with the built-in spellchecker, available
in a number of languages.
- Customisable keyboard shortcuts for high-speed editing
- Use keyboard shortcuts to make editing your projects fast and natural; choose shortcuts to assign to your favourite commands
and formatting styles.
- Fast searchable help
- The comprehensive help with near-instant search contains the Jutoh manual and a knowledge base of over 300 articles.
The help window allows you to browse Jutoh manuals from within
Jutoh, side-by-side with your work. You can maximize it to take up the whole window while reading a topic,
or unpin it to show it in a window of its own.
- Scraps facility
- You can keep your research and random ideas: notes, pictures,
and document and web links.
- Access to tools and applications is available
via the Jutoh Desktop. You can customise the desktop look,
add your favourite applications and documents, and create text and picture notes.
You can even create a rolling slideshow of pictures to inspire you.
- USB memory key support
- Jutoh has superb support for external drives, such as USB memory keys.
You can use an external drive for your documents and for all your Jutoh preferences,
and you can even install Jutoh entirely onto the drive for complete
portability. You can then switch between different machines and operating systems,
taking all your documents and settings with you.
- Backup Facility
- The File Manager tool gives you an easy way to back up your
precious files, without resorting to an additional tool.
Specify File Sets that include all files of a given
type, and create a backup with just a few clicks. You can
also easily restore files from a backup archive.
- Specify editor font styles and sizes; and brighten
up window backgrounds with the supplied textures, or your own.
Back to the top